Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Coveted.


black leather shorts. absolutley.

cream pleated maxi. lovely.

platforms? seemingly superfluous, yet highly desired.
(source: retrogurl, garypeppervintage)

Confession: I've spent way too much time on fashiontoast lately, and from the looks of it I'm not the only one. I really appreciate her style and ability to wear things with such an effortless appeal. All of the photos (taken by her and her bf) are amazing, so it's easy to get lost skimming through old posts. It's also interesting to go in reverse, to see how her style has evolved over time. She definitely has a very whimsical, bohemian, ethereal, rocker vibe going and the series of photos do a great job of capturing that essence.
Moral of the story? Simplicity, truly is key.

Perspective: Fashion blogs have really made me think a lot about my own sense of style, and I can't help but feel a bit dazed and confused over what it is exactly and where it's going. Perhaps, my biggest conflict is over this idea of individuality and having that "keen eye" for things. Style is "supposed" to be a unique expression of one's individuality, so it always seems to pose a bit of a problem when everyone else and their mother are wearing exactly the same thing. It's that feeling of being unoriginal and having no sense of style (or perhaps individuality) that we feel so repulsed by.

Storytime: In 2nd grade, there was this girl that always used to copy off of me (for what exactly, I don't know - coloring test?). Taking matters into my own hands, I decided to report this back to her mother, who admonished me for making such an outrageous claim. While the teacher very calmly told me, "copying is the highest form of flattery." Suffice it to say, that copying had left a certain bitter taste in my mouth ever since. Revelation. Copying can lead to inspiration (at least in the world of fashion). Seeing certain looks on other people that I normally couldn't see on myself, is a great prelude to creating your own style. With the help of the mighty web-o-sphere, we are able to share this collective fashion consciousness, in hopes that you too can inspire someone else.

Currently: If I were to describe my style I would say it was more vintage than anything else. A lot of the pieces I own and have collected over the last couple of years have been from my mom and grandmother. If it weren't for their slight pack rat tendency to keep EVERYTHING, than I wouldn't have the fortune of finding such great treasures. In fact, it's become a periodical event to dig through closets and old boxes for clothes that have been tucked away for years, waiting for me. Although I do appreciate vintage pieces, I always like to keep an open mind. The reason being, it makes it a lot easier to play around with different looks, and go with whatever suits YOU the most at that certain time, place, and mood you are in. Whether you are going to work, taking a walk in the park, or maybe just a trip to the gas station - what you wear can really affect your aura. I mean, it's a matter of self expression, right? If we all walked around wearing brown paper bags (or plastic if you prefer), how would we differentiate? Part of the draw to meeting new people I feel comes at the very beginning when we assess various external attributes (not to be shallow, but we all do it). Depending on what you're wearing, sometimes that is all the statement you need.


No comments:

Post a Comment